Sunday, April 17, 2011

Egg-Citing Observations!

Last week, I was at an outdoor mall and found this egg that you keep in water, it cracks and a little chicken toy is supposed to hatch. I brought it in, made a little observation sheet and decided to try it with my first graders. I didn't tell them what it was. I just said I found it and we made a little paper nest. They were very concerned with keeping it warm so we added what we could find - cotton balls, yarn, etc. At first, some were a little skeptical. They noticed that it looked kind of like the plastic eggs we used during math. I left it out for the day and when they were gone, I put it in water (If it's not in water, it won't change or grow). The next day I took it out and it was cracking a bit. Even the skeptical kids began to wonder what it could be. By the 3rd day, it had many more cracks and even a little hole where we could see something orange. They were so excited and were convinced that they could see a beak! They even convinced each other that they could hear it in there! So precious! They all wanted to come back to school on Saturday to see what was going to happen! I love when they say that!
Anyway, I don't know how it will turn out, but I know that we are having so much fun! I am almost sad that it's not real!!
I was at Dollar Tree last night and they had them! So I grabbed a few for future years. Fun times in first grade!

**If you have not taken at look at the new Frog and Toad unit from Jaime @ What's the Buzz, go check out this adorable unit - she has a preview on her blog. So.darn.cute! :)

:) Andrea

Here is a pic of the egg from the Dollar Tree. It's not the same brand, but would probably work just fine! The pic isn't very clear because of the plastic packaging. It says Growing Egg on it. :)

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea! I can't wait to try this with my little ones! :)

    ReplyDelete